We've listed our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). If you can't find the answer, please get in touch.

Who do I contact about Lowther Homes properties?

Fill in our online form or phone us on 0800 561 6666. We're here to help 24/7.

What is the minimum rental period for Lowther Homes?

There are two types of agreements in place, dependent on when your tenancy began:

  • If your tenancy started before 1st December 2018, the property is let on a Short Assured Tenancy with a minimum rental period of six months. If a tenant decides to leave the tenancy early, you are liable for rent to the end of the six-month period. You can either extend or terminate your tenancy at the end of the six months. Both parties are required to provide the other with a minimum of two months’ notice if the lease is to terminate at the end of the six-month period.
  • The new tenancy, Private Residential Tenancy, was introduced on 1 December 2018. This type of tenancy is an open-ended tenancy designed to minimise disruption to tenants' lives, so that they can feel safe and secure in their home without fear of eviction at short notice, just because the tenancy reaches the end. The 'no-fault' eviction option available under the old Short Assured Tenancy will no longer be available. You are required to provide 29 days’ notice.

Do I need to pay a deposit?

Yes. Deposits are one month's rent in advance plus an additional £100. You will pay this before you move into the property.

What do you do with my deposit?

In line with the Tenancy Deposit Schemes (Scotland) Regulations 2011, we pay tenant deposits into one of the Scottish Government approved organisations.

  • We lodge our deposits with SafeDeposits Scotland.
  • SafeDeposits Scotland will write to tenants with a unique reference number when they receive deposits from Lowther Homes - this is needed for a refund at the end of the tenancy.
  • Any disputes regarding the repayment of the deposit will be dealt with in accordance with the scheme rules.
  • You’ll find lots of information on the SafeDeposits Scotland website.

At the end of the tenancy, we’ll apply to the scheme for repayment of the deposit, provided there are no outstanding payments or any damages to the property or its contents. As long as the tenant agrees with the amount to be repaid, SafeDeposits will return their deposit within five working days.

What is included in my rent?

We believe we offer good value for money when you rent a home with us. The following services are included as standard:

  • cleaning of communal stairs and windows
  • communal grounds maintenance
  • communal stair lighting repairs
  • gas and electrical certification as applicable
  • repairs - internal and external
  • lift maintenance

How do I pay Lowther Homes rent?

Rent payments are made by Direct Debit or by using a My Lowther online account. Find out more at Payments.

What if my circumstances change?

It is important that you notify us of any changes in your circumstances.

Get in touch if you want to:

  • transfer your tenancy
  • share your tenancy
  • add a new person
  • take over your tenancy

Use our online form or call us on 0800 561 6666.

Do you provide a repairs service?

Non Emergency

We provide a non emergency repair service. When you tell us about a non emergency repairs, we will agree a suitable appointment time to complete the repair, normally within 10 working days. How to report a repair:

You must be at home or provide access at the agreed time. If the agreed time is no longer suitable, call us to rearrange. Any repairs cause by wilful damage will be charged accordingly.


We provide an emergency repair service. When you tell us about emergency repairs we will respond within four hours and aim to complete within 24 hours. How to report an emergency repair:

You must be at home or provide access to allow us to complete emergency repairs. Any repairs cause by wilful damage will be charged accordingly.

Do you carry out gas safety checks?

Yes. By law, we must comply with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1994 and subsequent associated legislation. We will check all gas systems, appliances and flues at least every 12 months by a GasSafe registered engineer. As per our Tenancy Agreement, access must be granted to allow these checks to be done.

Do you carry out safety checks on electrics?

We will carry our electrical cortication on all electrical appliances provided as part of our furnished lets. This is a legal requirement and will be carried out every five years. It is important that access is granted to allow these checks to be carried out in line with our Tenancy Agreement.

Do I need Home Contents insurance?

We recommend that you arrange Home Contents insurance for your personal possessions. Our insurance does not protect you in the event of a break in or a serious incident such as fire or flooding. We do not accept liability for your personal possessions.

Do I need buildings insurance?

No. We are responsible for providing buildings insurance.

What do I do if I lose my keys?

If you lose your keys, call us on 0800 561 6666 as soon as possible and we will arrange for a change of locks. Whatever the circumstances, you will be responsible for the cost of replacement and the cost of having additional keys cut.

How do I end my tenancy?

If you have a Short Assured Tenancy Agreement, you must give us a minimum of two months' notice. If you have signed a Private Residential Tenancy Agreement, you need to give us 28 days' notice.

What happens when I move out?

When you tell us you want to end a tenancy we will confirm by email an agreed termination date and a suitable date and time to meet with you to conduct a final inspection.

We issue an inventory at the beginning of a tenancy and will check this at our final inspection. Don't worry if you don't have this we will have a copy. You will be responsible for:

  • leaving the flat in a clean and reasonable condition
  • removing all personal effects
  • disposing of all unwanted items and rubbish
  • returning keys
  • notifying utility and any other service suppliers of your departure and agree a final settlement with the suppliers.

If the property is left in an unreasonable condition we may charge you for a professional clean once you vacate the property.

What do I do with keys at the end of my tenancy?

All keys must be returned to your letting agent at the agreed termination date. If all keys recorded on the inventory are not handed back you will be charged for the costs of any additional keys.