Bogus callers and rogue traders
Bogus callers are criminals who claim to be someone they’re not to get into your property.
They could target anyone at any time, but they often focus on the over-60s. They’ll often pretend to be from Lowther Homes, a council department or a utility company. What they want to do is steal your money and valuables.
They offer to carry out work on your house, garden or driveway. In reality, they charge inflated prices for shoddy or unnecessary work.
Our staff will be happy to show you an identity card. If you are in doubt, keep them out and call us straight away on 0800 561 6666.
Tips to keep safe at home
- don’t let any strangers into your home
- use a door chain, if you have one
- always ask for proof of identification and check it carefully – it must have a photograph of the caller on it
- never be persuaded or bullied to let someone inside your home or worry about seeming rude
- if in doubt – keep them out
- never give keys to workmen or tradesmen unless you are certain you can trust them – copy keys are easily made.