Building insurance

Do you have a question about building insurance arranged by Lowther?

Check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below to see if we have the answer. If you can't find the answer, get in touch.

How do I make a claim?

To make a claim on your buildings insurance, you need to contact Aviva on 0800 015 1498.

You should quote your policy number: PM519292CHC.

The claims line is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can I claim for vandalism?

Each owner has a £100 excess, so common damage would have to be fairly extensive for a claim to be worth pursuing. That said, there is no penalty for claiming and then being advised that the total amount is below the excess. If in doubt, make a claim.

How much does building insurance cover cost?

For Lowther homeowners:
We have secured buildings insurance through Ageas. The annual premiums are fixed from April 2016 to March 2018 and vary by property type. The costs are:

Aged persons flat£110.91
Deck access property£141.87

Other property types will have separate premiums and please contact us and we can have a quote issued.

What’s not covered by my buildings insurance?

The following areas aren't covered by the buildings insurance policy:

  • routine maintenance and general repairs that become necessary due to normal wear and tear. These are the responsibility of every owner.
  • the contents of your home are not covered under this policy. We can offer you contents insurance at a great price - speak to our team for more details or ask for more information on our online form.
  • damage that happens after your home has been empty or unfurnished for more than 60 days in a row, unless the damage is caused by a fire, storm or flood.

What's covered by building insurance?

  • fire, storm or flood damage
  • malicious acts or vandalism - as long as you report these to the police and get a crime reference number
  • theft or attempted theft
  • accidental damage - for example, if you accidentally drop something in your sink and crack it, you can claim against your policy. Many buildings insurance policies don’t provide this level of cover as standard.

Check your policy booklet for full details of cover. If you need another copy, please contact us.

Do you get commission from the insurance company?


All profits that we receive are gifted to the Wheatley Foundation.