Computers make it easy to shop, pay your bills, keep in touch with friends and much more. But, like the real world, you need to be careful about sharing your personal information.
Quick online safety tips
- don’t share your passwords – use a different password for every online account
- use internet security software – and keep it updated
- public wifi hotspots are not always safe – don’t visit websites where you use passwords or bank details
- don’t reveal too much personal or financial information in emails, social media channels and other sites
- don’t click on links in emails, posts, tweets or texts – and don’t open attachments – if you don’t know the person who sent them to you
- if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- avoid computer viruses
- set strong passwords
- avoid revealing too much information
- check for secure websites
- stay safe in public places.