Bins and cleansing

Who is responsible for issues about bin collections, wheelie bins and bulk items?

Your local authority is responsible for all bins and waste collections. They arrange regular refuse collections, as well as uplifting bulky items when requested.

They are also responsible for replacing your wheelie bins if they get lost or stolen.

If you live in Glasgow, you can find details about refuse collections on Glasgow City Council's website. If you live in Edinburgh, you can find details about refuse collections on the City of Edinburgh Council's website.

If you live outside of these areas, you can check with your local authority.

Household refuse

This service is provided on the same day each week (excluding some public holidays) to households using either bin sacks or a green wheeled bin. Multi-storey blocks and some flatted dwellings are provided with large containers. These containers are likely to be emptied on a more frequent basis.

Bulk uplift service

Your local authority can normally arrange a bulk uplift for larger household items such as cookers, fridges or furniture. They may charge for this service.

If you have any decent quality furniture you want rid of, why not donate it to our Home Comforts service? We upcycle unwanted furniture and pass it on to those who can’t afford to buy furniture. We'll arrange a free pick up.

Household refuse enquiries

Questions about missed collections, information on which day of the week your refuse is collected, or for any refuse collection matter please contact your local authority.