Get set for winter
Stay warm and safe during the winter.
Make sure you – and your home – are set for winter. It is important to make sure your home is in good condition, to reduce the risk of burst pipes and cut fuel bills too.
Find out more with our useful advice and tips below.
Tips to beat the chill
Follow our simple advice to help you stay safe and warm during the cold weather
- If you’re not going to be at home for a period of time, set your heating to come on for a couple of hours a day and leave a key with a friend or neighbour
- Have regular hot drinks and at least one hot meal a day
- Wear several light layers of warm clothes to keep the heat in
- Keep active and wrap up warm if you go outside, draw your curtains at dusk and keep doors closed to block out draughts
- Keep your living room at around 18-21°C (64-70°F) to keep warm and cosy.
Remember to make sure you’ve had your annual gas service to ensure your heating is working properly.
It’s also important to report repairs as soon as you can before they become a bigger problem.
Frozen or burst pipes
If you do have frozen or burst pipes, turn off your close or house mains water supply, if you can. Then tell your neighbours the water supply has been turned off.
Call us on 0800 561 6666.